About Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
The answers to the questions and answers below are intended as an overview and not meant to be the "Final Word" on North Carolina MCLE requirements. Please contact the NC State Bar with specific questions.
The North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA) is an accredited CLE sponsor under the Mandatory CLE Regulations promulgated by the Board of Continuing Legal Education of the NC State Bar.
These programs have been approved (but not sponsored) by the Board for the designated number of CLE hours. The NCBA is also an accredited sponsor for mandatory CLE in other states.
It remains the responsibility of each attorney to maintain records of his or her attendance at CLE programs for purposes of the annual report required by the NC State Bar. MCLE credit will be reported only if a NC State Bar number is provided.
Your MCLE Record
View your CLE records online and print your interim report form directly from the NC State Bar CLE website or call the NC State Bar at 919.828.4620.
Required Hours During Reporting Period
The NC State Bar (the accreditation, licensing and disciplinary entity that is separate and different from the North Carolina Bar Association) requires attorneys complete 12 hours of mandatory continuing legal education, or MCLE, during the reporting period.
How Many Online CLE Hours May I Take?
Attorneys may take up to six hours of computer-based CLE. Click here to seach from over 1000 On Demand CLE Programs from the NCBA.
Is There A Limit To How Many Webcast Hours I May Take?
There is no limit to the number of CLE hours acquired by participating in a Live CLE Webcast program. Click here to see a list of upcoming NCBA Live Webcasts.
How Many Ethics Credits Do I Need?
Two of the 12 required credit hours must be in the area of legal ethics or professional responsibility.
How Many Substance Abuse/Mental Health Credits Do I Need?
At least once every three calendar years, each lawyer must complete an additional hour of professional responsibility (ethics) devoted exclusively to instruction in substance abuse awareness or debilitating mental conditions, and a lawyer's professional responsibilities.
Registrations (including door registrations) are limited to available space. Available space at the NC Bar Center includes a live overflow room with video simulcast.
Your registration form and check must be received one week prior to the program date to qualify for the Early Bird Tuition. Registrations received after this time or at the door are charged the regular tuition.
Please note: CLE hours and tuition are approximate until individual program brochures are published. In the event of price discrepancies, you will be invoiced for or refunded the difference.
The following registration category fees include your State Bar MCLE fee, materials and lunch (where included) at the live programs:
- NCBA Section Members | Section members receive a $20 discount off the regular member rate on section planned CLE programs. If you are not a member of the indicated section and wish to join, register at the discounted rate and you will receive an invoice for the section dues and application.
- NCBA Members | Receive reduced registration fees.
- Full-Time LANC Attorneys (NCBA Member) | Attorneys who are full-time Legal Aid attorneys and members of the NCBA may attend most CLE programs at a reduced tuition rate. Please check program brochure for tuition and exceptions.
- NCBA Paralegal Division Members | NCBA non-attorney Paralegal Division members receive reduced registration fees for Paralegal Division–sponsored programs.
- Non-Members | Are welcome to register and attend any of the CLE programs. Non-members may join the NCBA and register at the member rate. You will receive an invoice and a membership application.
- 1st Yr Licensed in NC (NCBA Members) | First year licensed to practice in NC and an NCBA Member. Receive reduced registration fee of $99 for all live and video replay programming (maximum of 7.0 credit hours) in the first year membership with the NCBA.
- CLE Passport | You must have paid the Passport enrollment fee for that enrollment year. Certain restrictions apply. Call the CLE Department for more information.
- Book Order Only | Printed program materials are available after the initial program date. Allow two–four weeks for delivery.
The following registration categories do not include any MCLE fee:
- Judges | You must be a member of the NCBA and you must attend to receive the materials.
- Law Professors | You must be a full-time professor at an ABA approved law school, or a law school seeki ng ABA accreditation, and a member of the NCBA. You must attend to receive the materials.
- Law Students and Paralegal Division Students | You must be a member of the NCBA Law Student or Paralegal Student Division. You must attend to receive the materials.
Method of Payment and Registration
Payment can be made by VISA, MasterCard, American Express or check payable to the NCBA. Register by phone, fax, mail or Web.
CLE Scholarships | A limited number of scholarships are available to members in financial need. Contact Membership Services at 1.800.662.7407 or email email@example.com.
Registrants wishing to transfer their registrations from a Live program, Video Replay, or Phone/Audio Streaming program may do so without penalty within three (3) business days after the program concludes.
Registrants may not transfer to or from a program where payment is collected by a third party vendor (Ex. MesaCLE webinars)
A registration may only be transferred once.
Cancellations must be received by 9:00a the third business day prior to the program to qualify for a refund (less $75 administrative processing fee).
After that time, those not attending will receive the program materials (if included in the tuition) in full consideration of tuition paid. Passport participants failing to cancel will be charged a $25 administrative fee and do not receive materials.
All written materials are provided electronically in each individual's NCBA online account.
NC State Bar rules require a minimum number of active State Bar members to register before MCLE credit will be given for a video replay.
The NCBA reserves the right to cancel any video programs prior to the program date if registrations do not meet this requirement. CLE credit hours at Video Replays are subject to change.
Persons With Disabilities
We make every effort to ensure that our programs are held in facilities which are fully accessible to persons with disabilities.
If you plan to attend our program and will need special facilities or assistance relating to a disability, please contact the CLE Department at least one week prior to the date of the program.
Inclement Weather Policy
The NCBA will make every effort to notify attendees who have registered for a CLE program should inclement weather cause a program to be cancelled or delayed.
Attendees should ensure that current contact information, including an email address, is provided when registering for a CLE program.
Live and Video Replay Programs
If inclement weather is forecast for your area, please check local news listings or contact the location where your program is being held for closing information. NCBA programs will follow the work schedule of the hosting institution, to include delayed openings.
If the site is closed, the program is cancelled. Site contact information is listed on the email confirmation registrants receive for each program.
November 30, -0001