Live Cary, NC Bar Center | Live Webcast
Friday, February 23, 2018
Click on the "In Depth" tab for tuition, location and speaker information.
This program covers the essentials of music copyright law in this digital age, including all the rights you get with a copyright along with all the revenue streams songs can generate.
All the while attendees listen to music, watch video clips, and hear stories regarding music law.
This program includes an hour of ethics discussing the ethical issues in representing a band as an organization.
About the Speaker:
Jim Jesse has been an attorney for 24 years, and has been a full-time CLE presenter since 2013. He is the former General Counsel for Cool Music Network (THE COOL TV), which is a 24-hour-a-day music video television network. Previously, he was in private practice. He has founded Rock N Roll Law, and his passion is spreading music law through his seminars. Thousands of attorneys have taken his courses, and he has conducted his music law course now in many states. He is also a member of the Association for Continuing Legal Education (ACLEA).
Jesse is a member of BMI and has run his own record label distributing his music. He has written songs for more than 30 years, and has more than 200 songs he has never released. He has studied music history for years. He is the author of The Music Copyright Law Manual and the forthcoming The Musician’s Guide to Music Copyright Law.
Mr. Jesse consults and practices in areas regarding intellectual property, licensing and music law. He has drafted and reviewed hundreds of contracts from small barter deals to multi-million dollar ones.
- 8:30a | Registration and Breakfast
- 8:55 | Welcome and Introductions
- 9:00 | Introductions to Copyright Concepts and the Legal Framework of a Band
- 9:30 | What is a Copyright and How to Obtain One
- The Six Exclusive Legal Rights You Get with Your Copyright:
- 10:00 | One: Reproduction
- 10:15 | Break
- 10:30 | Two: Distribution and Music Licensing
- 11:00 | Three: Public Performance
- 11:30 | Four: Digital Transmission and Streaming
- 12:00p | Lunch
- 1:00 | Five: Derivatives and Sampling
- 1:30 | Six: Public Display and Wrapping up the Rights and Revenue
- 1:45 | Songwriting Credits/Lyrics/Joint Authors
- 2:15 | Works Made for Hire/Termination Rights
- 2:45 | Break
- 3:00 | How Songs are Built, Standards in Copyright Infringement Cases and Damages
- Ethical Issues Regarding Representing a Band:
- 3:30 | Ethical Issues Regarding Band Representation and Organiza-tion/Diminished Capacity MRPC 1.13, 1.14
- 4:00 | Ethical Issues and Conflict of Interest in Representing Competing Interests in a Group MRPC 1.7, 2.1
- 4:30 | Adjourn
February 23, 2018 8:55 AM Eastern
8 hours, 35 minutes